POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : kd-trees rule! : Re: kd-trees rule! Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:56:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: kd-trees rule!
From: triple r
Date: 13 Feb 2009 04:15:00
Message: <web.4995387855bca3e6ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> Hardcoded at the present. At some point I have to implement a parser but
> that is not a fun thing to do and developing a good SDL takes time...

I've always thought it would be neat to leave it as an API.  POV-Ray's SDL is
already similar to C, but you'd also get the benefits of being able to use
numerical libraries, object-oriented programming, and of course, there's SPEED.
 All without actually having to write or maintain a parser!  The renderer would
just be a static or dynamic library.  Of course you have to compile and link
over and over, but how bad is that, really?

#include <ssray.h>
int main( int argc, char** argv ) {

     Scene s (argc, argv);

     vec x (0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
     vec dx (1.0, 0.0, 0.0);

     Union u;

     for( int i=0; i<100; i++) {
          u.push(
               sphere( x, 1.0,
                   pigment( Red )
               )
          );
          x += dx;
     )

     s.push(u);

     s.Render();

     return 0;
}

Upon reflection, maybe the answer is, "Pretty bad."  I think it's still the
approach I'd take since I don't actually know how to write a proper parser.

 - Ricky