POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Blender (Message 26 to 35 of 35)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Blender
Date: 15 Feb 2009 22:51:03
Message: <4998e2a7$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> Otherwise, it seems pretty straightforward. Altho there are a couple (so
>> far) of bothersome limitations, particularly in the textures. (Like, I don't
>> know how to do checkerboards or hex shapes or some of the other stuff POV
>> has built in, and you can't rotate a texture directly, so your wood rings
>> are fixed in one axis - just minor stuff like that).
>
> Much more powerful procedural textures are coming to Blender soon enough,
> completely modifiable via the nodes editor as well.  Anyway, most people into
> Blender -- and most other 3D apps as well -- simply use image maps, though
> being a povhead myself, I never quite adapted to the whole UV-unwrap thing
> either.

Well, I don't get how they do it anyway. I mean, you "unwrap" your mesh
to a pattern which is either a) sort of like the original, but not
really, or b) a lot of squares, where you can't tell the original
geometry. Then you paint it, reimport, overlay it into the UV pattern
then how the frack it works. Think the guys with.. deep paint, or what
ever its called, have it right. Lose the idiot, "make it some place
else, then glue it on like a label", BS and just paint directly on the
object, like you would in the real world. If you can't precisely control
the texture, its position, etc., or get an "accurate" mesh layout to
draw into, what is the point? And, even if its "may" be accurate,
technically, it takes a very different mind than mine to "get" how the
two correspond, without having some way to "see it" as I am doing the
drawing.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Mike Hough
Date: 16 Feb 2009 01:12:18
Message: <499903c2$1@news.povray.org>
In Blender it is possible to paint directly on the model using texture
paint. Works best if it is a low-poly model with subsurf that can be turned
off while painting. It isn't something that I've completely mastered but I
have been able to get it to work pretty well. That is how I created the
texture map for this model http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqmRT87HhtE

I created a grid pattern for the uvmap, unwrapped the head and applied the
map, and then used texture paint to block in the colors, like the eyebrows,
eyeliner, lips, and blush. The image at that point shows the features well
enough to figure out what-goes-where and then I added details in photoshop.
Takes quite a long time so I've been putting it off for several other models
in the works. I find the hardest part is remembering all the steps involved
in using the uv editor.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 01:42:30
Message: <49990ad6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> ever its called, have it right. Lose the idiot, "make it some place
> else, then glue it on like a label", BS and just paint directly on the
> object, like you would in the real world.

That's one of the things Animation Master got right. You could just stamp an
image down. Especially nice if you modeled something based on orthographic
views, because then you could just slap the image down.

I saw another program where you could draw the geometry, then hand basically
a frontal view to an artist who would paint on the view you'd see from the
camera, and then you could import that right back onto the model. Find spots
you couldn't see, get the artist to fill them in, reimport, lather rinse
repeat. The examples used buildings in game levels, so I'm not sure how good
it would be for faces or something. It helped that you could put some basic
texturing on the buildings and let the artist fill in details like dirt and
rust and signs and cobwebs and doorknobs and stuff.

The UV mapping in blender lets you do other stuff, tho, too, like
automatically baking shadows into the images so you can turn the ray-tracing
off for drawing animations, and stuff like that.

It's a very complicated program.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 16 Feb 2009 02:43:31
Message: <49991923@news.povray.org>
> Does anyone here use blender?

Glad you seemed to have fixed your problem yourself - sometimes the last
resort is to make a post somewhere in the hope of getting an answer!

Personally I've mainly used Blender for mesh generation and simple UV
texture mapping (for export for use in a game), but I did dabble a bit with
the bones and animation features.  I do remember a couple of things about
that where, like you say, doing seemingly exactly the same thing would
sometimes work and sometimes not (to do with getting an animal walking).  To
this day I don't think I ever figured out what it was, and the tutorials I
was following seemed to be based on a previous version of Blender.  I just
lost interest in the end.

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Zier
Date: 16 Feb 2009 06:33:27
Message: <49994f07$1@news.povray.org>
Am Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:08:53 -0800 schrieb Darren New:

> Does anyone here use blender?

I'm using it. Not for rendering mainly, but for designing cardboard
models (ok, not the best-suited program for that task like for example
Rhino, but Rhino isn't free as in beer). Modelling, constructing and
scripting basically.

OOC, does anybody here do cardboard modelling (or papercraft, whatever
you call it)?

Micha

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 16 Feb 2009 12:04:03
Message: <49999C81.4000005@hotmail.com>
On 14-2-2009 22:08, Darren New wrote:
> Does anyone here use blender?

yes.

Oh, and I am one of them. Mainly using it for meshes that never get
rendered (as in 3D models of humans to do electrical computations in). I
do have 3 instances of it open at the moment. When I do render
something, I always fall back on the POVanim package
(http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/fr/povanim_en.htm) The
existence of which should have answered your question.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 13:45:52
Message: <4999b460$1@news.povray.org>
Michael Zier wrote:
> I'm using it. Not for rendering mainly, but for designing cardboard
> models

Actually, that sounds like a real win for UV unwrapping. :-)

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 13:47:17
Message: <4999b4b5$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I always fall back on the POVanim package

Oh, very cool. I'll definitely have to check that out!

From: andrel
Date: 16 Feb 2009 14:58:13
Message: <4999C554.8060102@hotmail.com>
On 16-2-2009 19:47, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I always fall back on the POVanim package
>
> Oh, very cool. I'll definitely have to check that out!

In my experience it does not work straight as installed. He seems to put
the mesh in another directory as the POV file points to. Easily fixed if
that happens, but just in case you will be wondering if you did
something wrong...

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Zier
Date: 17 Feb 2009 06:03:53
Message: <499a9999$1@news.povray.org>
Am Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:45:50 -0800 schrieb Darren New:

> Michael Zier wrote:
>> I'm using it. Not for rendering mainly, but for designing cardboard
>> models
>
> Actually, that sounds like a real win for UV unwrapping. :-)

Well, not really. UV unwrapping doesn't (normally) care to preserve the
shape of the individual faces, which is deadly for unfolding paper
models. There's the "Unfold Mesh" script (now included in the Blender
distro) which is doing what you might want, but I wrote a new unfolding
script more suited to my needs.
You might find it and some additional scripts here:
http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?
threadid=17937&threadview=1&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=2#post283818
(registration and german language knowledge might be required)