POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender : Re: Blender Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 01:42:30
Message: <49990ad6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> ever its called, have it right. Lose the idiot, "make it some place
> else, then glue it on like a label", BS and just paint directly on the
> object, like you would in the real world.

That's one of the things Animation Master got right. You could just stamp an
image down. Especially nice if you modeled something based on orthographic
views, because then you could just slap the image down.

I saw another program where you could draw the geometry, then hand basically
a frontal view to an artist who would paint on the view you'd see from the
camera, and then you could import that right back onto the model. Find spots
you couldn't see, get the artist to fill them in, reimport, lather rinse
repeat. The examples used buildings in game levels, so I'm not sure how good
it would be for faces or something. It helped that you could put some basic
texturing on the buildings and let the artist fill in details like dirt and
rust and signs and cobwebs and doorknobs and stuff.

The UV mapping in blender lets you do other stuff, tho, too, like
automatically baking shadows into the images so you can turn the ray-tracing
off for drawing animations, and stuff like that.

It's a very complicated program.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"