POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The most common 3D mesh file format? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  The most common 3D mesh file format? (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The most common 3D mesh file format?
Date: 27 Jan 2009 12:06:07
Message: <497f3eff$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> Still don't know what was the reason.

Overheating? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"
   "What's wrong? Noodles too hot?"
   "No, I have Chopstick Tunnel Syndrome."

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 27 Jan 2009 12:51:33
Message: <497F4A0C.6090605@hotmail.com>
On 27-Jan-09 9:03, Severi Salminen wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> use blender, wings3d or something like that and export a few basic
>> shapes as obj
>
> Thanks, that was a good idea! I exported and imported the Blender monkey
> model (in .obj) and here is the result:
>
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sevesalm/ssRay/ShowImage.php?img=27
>
> w00t, it works :D It is slow but looks to render quite properly.
> However, my system crashed at 7am for some reason (blinking keyboard
> leds - kernel panic, maybe?). Still don't know what was the reason.

What happened here?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'kuva27.jpg' (7 KB)

Preview of image 'kuva27.jpg'
kuva27.jpg

From: andrel
Date: 27 Jan 2009 13:00:23
Message: <497F4C1E.4060204@hotmail.com>
On 27-Jan-09 9:23, scott wrote:
>>> Another advantage of OBJ is that it support quads. I think 3DS only
>>> supports
>>> triangles?
>>
>>  Rendering a (non-rectangular) textured quad is not an unambiguous
>> process.
>> How do you do that? Dividing it into two triangles will get you a
>> texturing
>> artifact.
>
> To be clearer, there is no expected or obvious way how the inside of a
> quad should be textured given the four vertex texture coordinates.
> Converting to two triangles does it one way, but there are other
> possibilities.  In practise every modeller and renderer will convert it
> to two triangles, so I guess that can be thought of the "standard" way.

I normally cut them in 4 (using the center of mass as a fifth vertex)
that at least gives a unique division.

Post a reply to this message

From: Severi Salminen
Date: 27 Jan 2009 13:08:38
Message: <497f4da6@news.povray.org>
> What happened here?

Good question. I wondered the same and that is actually caused by
Blender. ssRay only knows about triangles so I let Blender triangulate
all the quads. And it seems it did poor job... The same problems show in
Blender when I import the exported mesh back. But anyway, it should be
rendered correctly - only the model is a bit broken.

SS

Post a reply to this message

> Good question. I wondered the same and that is actually caused by
> Blender. ssRay only knows about triangles so I let Blender triangulate
> all the quads. And it seems it did poor job... The same problems show in
> Blender when I import the exported mesh back. But anyway, it should be
> rendered correctly - only the model is a bit broken.

The exporter doesn`t seem ok, then.  But that looks weirdly like a
glitch with the normal calculations.  In Blender, you may try to do, in
edit mode (tab):

1) convert all to triangles CTRL+T
2) recalculate the normals CTRL+N
3) export