POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 200 to 209 of 219)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 24 Jan 2009 20:50:00
Message: <web.497bc48ec995525db0a3f2ba0@news.povray.org>
> > That's a misconception here: Time for photons has not come to a standstill in
> > their *own* frame of reference,
>
> How do you know? They're moving at c, where relativity divides by zero. :-)

Okay, you got me here: Time for a photon doesn't exist anyway :)

> > "The true diameters of the Sun and Earth are 4.1 km and 4.4 mm GREATER,
> > respectively, than one would expect from applying Euclidean geometry (C = pi d)
> > to the observed surface of these bodies"
>
> Diameters are greater than they should be, circumference is shorter than it
> should be. Yes?

Hm, yes, I guess that is what it's saying.

> >> More like infinity, methinks.
> >
> > (*scratches head*)
> > Doesn't make sense to me: We get closer to the black hole's center, and when we
> > have reached the EH this distance becomes *infinite*?
>
> Yes. for the same reason that the diameter of the earth is *greater* than it
> should be given its circumference.

Don't believe. Although I must confess that the above reasoning indicates that
it's something different than zero, and actually greater than the "expected" EH
radius.

Darn, so much for world domination...

BTW, I had a look at those other metrices; I particularly like the Lemaitre
metric: I have no idea what the coordinates might stand for, but the concept of
a coordinate system that defines "here" as where I'll stay if I continue free
fall feels rather "natural"... if there is such a thing when dealing with black
holes.

So looks like Warp's right after all: The poor victim will cross the EH, after
all. Will take more than eternity as seen from an outside observer, but *after*
that "outside eternity" he'll make it.

Duh. Achilleus and the turtle, once again. (As it happens, the
Eddington-Finkelstein metric even has a component called "tortoise coordinate"
:))

Post a reply to this message