POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jan 2009 01:30:08
Message: <497c06f0$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
>>> Doesn't make sense to me: We get closer to the black hole's center, and when we
>>> have reached the EH this distance becomes *infinite*?

>> Yes. for the same reason that the diameter of the earth is *greater* than it
>> should be given its circumference.
>
> Don't believe.

Watch. Lay a ruler across the width of a black hole, thru the middle. How
long does the ruler have to be?

That's what warped spacetime *is* - when euclidean measurements don't work.
When the angles of a triangle add up to more than 180 degrees, you have a
mass inside the triangle.

 > Although I must confess that the above reasoning indicates that
> it's something different than zero, and actually greater than the "expected" EH
> radius.

I think you're confusing circumference and radius and diameter.

> Eddington-Finkelstein metric even has a component called "tortoise coordinate"

Is that Achillese tortoise or A-Tuin tortoise? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"