POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. (Message 161 to 170 of 219)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
Date: 23 Jan 2009 13:04:27
Message: <497a06ab$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
>> Do you go to the doctor to check if you have the flu, even if you have no
>> symptoms? No, because lack of evidence is evidence to the contrary. :-)
>
> LOL! I tried to find a good scientific example, but didn't come up with anything
> good - yours hits the mark ;)

Yes. The proper expression is "absence of proof is not proof of absence."
But evidence certainly is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27_theorem

> Well, even with fermions, it is questionable whether this is a problem with GR,
> or rather with QM.

I think we've all acknowledged that repeatedly. :-)

>> I don't think anyone on p.o-t knows whether GR or QM is wrong for sure.
>
> I think you can apply this theory to outside p.o-t as well... there's currently
> little evidence to the contrary ;)

Yup.  Except that wouldn't nearly be as sarcastic. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message