POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: nemesis
Date: 23 Jan 2009 13:44:23
Message: <497a1007@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> clipka wrote:
>> Maybe what we see isn't the "big bang" after all, but the "big crunch"?
>
> My favorite personal random idea is ... what if we really *are* at the
> center of the universe, and everything really *is* moving away from *us*?

Shouldn't then we not see them above the peak?  Oh, alright, spacetime
is curved and light would also bend and come from the sides and seem to
be right above our heads fooling us into thinking the universe is
roughly spherical.

> I saw a great line:  "Of *course* God put the Earth in the center of the
> universe. That's why all the stars shine *towards us*!"

Well, it's all relative to the observer, so from our point of view the
universe indeed revolves around us.  Actually, to the common man in the
streets -- whose view at nights is occluded by both smog polution and
city lights so he doesn't really take the time to look up the few
blinking stars so far away and so static -- the universe revolves around
mundane job, bills and society's many rituals. :P