POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. : Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics, relativity, quantum, etc.
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Jan 2009 13:08:14
Message: <497a078e$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Doesn't QM say (at least in some interpretations) that a particle's properties
> are not determined until it interacts?

Some are, some aren't.  A photon is always positively charged whether you're
measuring it or not. Only the properties that are orthogonal (i.e.,
"uncertain") are indeterminate.

> So assume a particle actually falls into a black hole; Is any information lost?

I'm told there is. :-)

> And so on.

Nice thought, but again, I personally am willing to take the word of people
like Hawking over my own understanding of QM. :-)

> So as it seems, a lot of matter out there is actually just unused spare memory,
> ready to back-up information of other particles doomed to fall into black
> holes... the queer thing is, we don't know *which* particles are used and which
> aren't...

Cute.  Sounds like a good SF story.

Oh, wait, already did one. Permutation City by Greg Egan. Highly
recommended. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"