POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Frustration (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Frustration
Date: 15 Jan 2009 14:50:57
Message: <496f93a1$1@news.povray.org>
And so, the Haskell mailing list is currently lit up with a discussion
about terminology.

Specifically, somebody wrote in a blog that he was looking for something
called "Appendable", but it turns out it's actually called "Monoid".
Unsurprisingly, the author added "Haskell, *please* stop letting
category theorists name things!"

But you see, some people apparently don't think this is a problem. (!!)

Words fail me... It's like somebody using a chainsaw to slice a loaf of
bread, and seeing absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. What do you
*say* to someone like that?! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:50:58 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> And so, the Haskell mailing list is currently lit up with a discussion
> about terminology.
>
> Specifically, somebody wrote in a blog that he was looking for something
> called "Appendable", but it turns out it's actually called "Monoid".
> Unsurprisingly, the author added "Haskell, *please* stop letting
> category theorists name things!"
>
> But you see, some people apparently don't think this is a problem. (!!)
>
> Words fail me... It's like somebody using a chainsaw to slice a loaf of
> bread, and seeing absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. What do you
> *say* to someone like that?! >_<

"Have a chainsaw"?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Words fail me... It's like somebody using a chainsaw to slice a loaf of
>> bread, and seeing absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. What do you
>> *say* to someone like that?! >_<
>
> "Have a chainsaw"?

LOL! Yeah, I guess so...

The guys over there are now arguing that since you need to know physics
to be a mechanical engineer, and you need to know chemistry to be a
laboritory chemist, why shouldn't you need to know predicate calculus,
abstract algebra and set theory to be a computer programmer?

Seriously, WTF??

Post a reply to this message