POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jan 2009 13:40:08
Message: <4970d488$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> why shouldn't you need to know predicate calculus, abstract algebra
>> and set theory to be a computer programmer?
>>
>> Seriously, WTF??
>
> Honestly, that makes sense to me. Maybe not set theory as such, but the
> other two are basically what a computer program is made out of. I never
> understood why people thought calculus was worthwhile for computer
> programming.  (Domain knowledge, sure, but not programming.)

I don't know. There are things you *must* know if you hope to write
nontrivial programs and expect them to work properly. And there are
other things which are useful to know, but generally not vital. I'd say
all of the above fall definitely into the range of "it's great if you
know it, but it's really not *required*".

Apparently I am entirely alone in this view.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/