POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Jan 2009 13:16:22
Message: <4970cef6@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:28:41 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Words fail me... It's like somebody using a chainsaw to slice a loaf
>>> of bread, and seeing absolutely nothing wrong with doing so. What do
>>> you *say* to someone like that?! >_<
>>
>> "Have a chainsaw"?
>
> LOL! Yeah, I guess so...
>
> The guys over there are now arguing that since you need to know physics
> to be a mechanical engineer, and you need to know chemistry to be a
> laboritory chemist, why shouldn't you need to know predicate calculus,
> abstract algebra and set theory to be a computer programmer?
>
> Seriously, WTF??

I would think set theory would be useful for dealing with certain data
types.

The one that always got me was needing to know engineering physics to be
a computer programmer.  Seriously, my CS degree program was heavy on
modeling and simulation, but we had to take engineering physics (rather
than a course on engineering physics tailored for CS majors, we just had
to take the straight EP course).

But there's a bit of a difference between people who actually design
airplanes needing to know EP and those who deal with simulations of
airplanes.  The same depth of knowledge is needed because real or
simulated, the math and physics are the same for the airfoil.  But for
the person doing simulation, there's this thing called a library that we
can link into to figure out the fancy math for us - so we don't need to
memorise arcane formulae.  We just need to know the inputs to a function
and the outputs from a function.

My EP professor disagreed.

Jim