POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Noobulation! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Noobulation! (Message 51 to 60 of 140)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: FATALITY!
Date: 15 Jan 2009 07:54:01
Message: <5ubum4l2p9rldi1qc0l7vg7aqedcohphf4@4ax.com>
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:02:28 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Question: How rare is it to get a first?

First-class honours: about 11%
Upper second-class honours: about 45%
Lower second-class honours: about 30%
Third-class honours: about 7.2%
Ordinary degree: around 10% transfer to the Ordinary degree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

>> True, so stop reading comics online and spending hours playing games. Finish
>> something.
>
>I've tried to do that a couple of times. But... no finished product
>here, eh? :-/

Yet?

>>> People here keep trying to tell me I'm an excellent writing and I should
>>> go into technical writing and all this kind of thing.
>>
>> I've not read any of your technical writing only your posts here and I can't
>> comment about that.
>
>Well, Darren and Andrel seem to think I have excellent skills in this
>direction... but as I say, nobody at uni was impressed.

I'll take their word over computing "accademics"

>> People don't *delight* in pointing out that you can't spell, they are doing it
>> to help. I can't spell for toffee (I used to get the belt at school every week
>> for my spelling) so I almost always use a spell checker, for everything even
>> this. Appearances are important.
>
>It just seems that every time I post some long and wordy post about
>something, Warp replies with a 1-line reply saying "you spelt that
>wrong". When I've just spent ages writing something, a meta-comment
>about something that is both obvious and irrelevant isn't what I'm
>really seeking.

I don't supose you do. So don't give him the opportunity ;)

>I'm just really frustrated and upset right now. Hopefully I'll get over
>it later.

Understandable, I'm sure that you will.

>My point is that knowing, rationally, that something is true doesn't
>necessarily help you *believe* it.

Again, true.

>Ever tried rock climbing?

No, I get vertego but I have worked "at height". I've frozen a couple of times,
not nice.

>Sure, I
>*know* that nothing bad can possibly happen to me... but I'm still
>pretty terrified, all the same! o_O

Being brave is feeling scared and still carrying on. (Or is that stupid?) :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Question: How rare is it to get a first?
>
> First-class honours: about 11%
> Upper second-class honours: about 45%
> Lower second-class honours: about 30%
> Third-class honours: about 7.2%
> Ordinary degree: around 10% transfer to the Ordinary degree
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Hmm, one in ten isn't all that rare I guess. (I was told that something
like 6 people in the whole of the UK get one each year. Clearly this is
not correct. Wikipedia is always right.)

Also... apparently 2:1 is *the* most common ranking.

>> I'm just really frustrated and upset right now. Hopefully I'll get over
>> it later.
>
> Understandable, I'm sure that you will.

Heh, we'll see. I hope so...

>> My point is that knowing, rationally, that something is true doesn't
>> necessarily help you *believe* it.
>
> Again, true.

And that's the problem, right there.

> Being brave is feeling scared and still carrying on. (Or is that stupid?) :)

I guess it depends on whether, rationally, it's a sensible thing to be
doing? :-)

Post a reply to this message