POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stranger than fiction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Stranger than fiction (Message 41 to 50 of 50)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Stranger than fiction
Date: 3 Dec 2008 16:39:06
Message: <4936fc7a@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> They are, sort of. In the real world, highlights would be caused by very
> fine irregularities on the surface. which will invariably reflect some
> of the light from the light source to your eye. What you see, then is a
> diffused reflection of the object's surroundings. Some of which may
> actually be a light source.
>
> Highlights as POV-Ray defines them is a sort of short cut.

Right. This is basically what I thought. ;-)

Doesn't that mean that, in the real world, the hilights should be the
shape of whatever luminous object is creating them? (The real world
doesn't have point-lights.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Highlights as POV-Ray defines them is a sort of short cut.
>
> Right. This is basically what I thought. ;-)
>
> Doesn't that mean that, in the real world, the hilights should be the
> shape of whatever luminous object is creating them? (The real world
> doesn't have point-lights.)

Aye. With additional deformation due to the shape of the surface, of course.

Post a reply to this message