POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stranger than fiction : Re: Stranger than fiction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stranger than fiction
From: scott
Date: 4 Dec 2008 03:39:19
Message: <49379737$1@news.povray.org>
>> Highlights as POV-Ray defines them is a sort of short cut.
>
> Right. This is basically what I thought. ;-)
>
> Doesn't that mean that, in the real world, the hilights should be the
> shape of whatever luminous object is creating them? (The real world
> doesn't have point-lights.)

Yes, if your surface was perfectly smooth.  But IRL most surfaces are not,
they have a roughness even if it is at a very small scale, thus the "normal"
you use in the reflection equation is perturbed slightly which can make the
highlight look larger and more blurred than it would due to a straight
reflection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_highlight