POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Oh dear... (Message 101 to 110 of 130)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Oh dear...
Date: 18 Nov 2008 12:42:00
Message: <4922fe68$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Haha. What?

Been to Europe lately? You know, Venice sinking into the water, statues
being moved inside because acid rain is melting them, etc?

I will say that LA is the only city I've been in that was as close to
being as polluted as Paris and Beijing were when I was there. And that's
because LA is in a big natural bowl and had awful air pollution even
before Christopher Columbus got to the New World. (The native americans
called it "the valley of smoke" because all the smoke from forest fires
would end up settling there.)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> Been to Europe lately? You know, Venice sinking into the water, statues
> being moved inside because acid rain is melting them, etc?

I haven't actually, but yeah, thought it might have something to do with
acid rain, but also figured that was a worldwide thing.

> I will say that LA is the only city I've been in that was as close to
> being as polluted as Paris and Beijing were when I was there. And that's
> because LA is in a big natural bowl and had awful air pollution even
> before Christopher Columbus got to the New World. (The native americans
> called it "the valley of smoke" because all the smoke from forest fires
> would end up settling there.)

Heh, I remember the first time I landed in LA, I immediately noticed the
yellowish smog layer over the entire valley.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message