POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Hints for drivers (Message 61 to 68 of 68)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Hints for drivers
Date: 17 Nov 2008 16:53:30
Message: <4921e7da@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:57:42 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:

> Yes, but at least you were not involved in the accident - given they
> were far enough ahead.
>
> If you get in their way you may be the indirect cause of an accident.

True, but if I can keep 'em behind me, then I'm not going to be stuck in
traffic for hours. ;-)

Jim (mostly joking)

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 18 Nov 2008 03:34:51
Message: <49227e2b$1@news.povray.org>
> Technically, yes, you're in trouble. You're not supposed to enter the
> intersection unless you can clear the other side legally.

That's sounds a bit silly, how are you meant to know if the light is going
to switch to red before you get to the other side?  Just this morning I
entered an intersection as it switched to amber (no way to stop in time),
and I'm pretty sure it was on red by the time I got out the other side
(around 20mph I guess, crossing 4 lanes of traffic and 2 tram lines).

> Don't pull into the middle of the intersection to turn - wait in the turn
> lane, for example.

You must have to wait for a huge gap in the oncoming traffic then - usually
here you move forward until you are exactly lined up with the exit, and as
soon as there is a gap in the oncoming traffic you make the turn.  Otherwise
you'd literally be there all day (and getting honked at from the cars
behind)!.

> In New York City, where such leads to deadlock,

It will only lead to deadlock if you enter the intersection when your exit
is not clear - we have that rule too.

> In practice, no, you rarely get in trouble, unless you do something else
> stupid too and it's something they add on top.

Ditto here, the police are not going to even do anything if they are right
behind you.  They're probably doing the same thing :-)

Post a reply to this message