POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2008 02:47:51
Message: <49251627$1@news.povray.org>
>> So, you make the yellow phase last long enough to cross the entire
>> junction at the slowest speed you can imagine for that junction?
>
> No. If you're going *that* slow, it's easier to stop.

But my whole point is, how do you know it's about to switch to amber?  If
you enter the junction on green going slow enough, you won't make it to the
other side before it gets to red.

> Yeah. I'm rather surprised there's any Chinese people left alive, with the
> way they do traffic there. :-)
>
> "That's our hotel on the left."
>    "Then why did the taxi driver pull into the right-turn-only lane?"
> "The line's shorter."

To be fair that isn't *that* bad, I've seen quite a few cars do that here,
using the turn-only lane and then going straight, getting in front of about
20-30 cars in the process.  What I found particularly weird in China was
that they started to queue up in the lanes for oncoming traffic when at a
red light!  Or that you can be going around a corner on a 2-lane road at
50mph and suddenly you're faced with an old woman on a tricycle coming
towards you!