POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hints for drivers : Re: Hints for drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hints for drivers
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Nov 2008 12:14:21
Message: <4922f7ed$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Technically, yes, you're in trouble. You're not supposed to enter the
>> intersection unless you can clear the other side legally.
>
> That's sounds a bit silly, how are you meant to know if the light is
> going to switch to red before you get to the other side?

That's what the yellow is for.

> morning I entered an intersection as it switched to amber (no way to
> stop in time), and I'm pretty sure it was on red by the time I got out
> the other side (around 20mph I guess, crossing 4 lanes of traffic and 2

They need a longer yellow light there.  As I said, in practice it's
usually not a problem.

> You must have to wait for a huge gap in the oncoming traffic then -

Or look ahead a bit. Or wait for the turn signal.

Of course it all falls apart if the lights aren't designed properly,
yes. If the yellow is too short to clear the intersection at a
reasonable speed, or you have no left turn arrow when there's usually
lots of oncoming traffic, you'll be in trouble.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)