POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  The misery of video editing (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: The misery of video editing
Date: 25 Oct 2008 08:53:01
Message: <490316ad$1@news.povray.org>
I was surprised to hear people say that they actually edit video on a
normal home PC. I had always assumed that was impossible.

It's beginning to look like it _is_ impossible...

First: My video camera records to mini-DVDs. It has two recording modes:
"video" and "VR". I have several disks full of video, all recorded in VR
mode. My mum's DVD player can play them. My dad's DVD player can play
them. My grandparents' ancient DVD player can play them. But every
*computer* under the Sun solemly swears that the DVDs are completely
blank and there is no data to play.

So today I shot some more video, this time recording in "video" mode.
Still my PC swears blind that the disk is actually blank. So I tried to
finalise the disk. Nope, sorry, can't do that. The camera refuses to
finalise. It shows me the option, but the option is disabled.

In a fit of extreme desperation, I consulted the manual. Guess what? The
camera has to be plugged into the mains to enable the "finalise disk"
option. o_O I mean, yeah, I can see why they're do that, but talk about
non-obvious...!

Anyway, I finalised the disk, and suddenly my PC can read it. Yay! I
immediately copied the 1.2 GB "VTS_01_1.VOB" file to my harddrive and
tried to play it. CyberLink PowerDVD immediately opens up and plays the
video. (In the wrong aspect ratio, but it plays.)

Now... how in the name of God do you *edit* the thing?! >_<

My first thought was to try Windows MovieMaker. [Last time I tried it I
found it to be quite useless, but everybody else claims it's fantastic.]
So I opened it up and tried to give it the video file. Nuh-uh. Won't
have it. Not interested. So I renamed the file form *.VOB to *.MPG. Now
WMM sees it. So I ask it to open the file, and... WMM crashes.
(Something about "too many event handlers to register" or something.)

So then I tried to play the renamed file with Windows Movie Player.
Unfortunately, although it does play, it only plays the first 8 seconds,
and then stops.

I tried to use TMPGEnc to transcode it back to MPEG1. This worked,
but... the transcoded file is 8 seconds long.

Next I tried to process it with VirtualDub. For my trouble, I get an
error message about a malformed packet. (Actually, it says "this packet
appears to be malformed or MPEG-2". So I'm guessing MPEG-2 isn't
supported then?)

To summarise: I now have a 1.2 GB video file which I can play, but I
cannot edit in any possible way. What the hell am I supposed to do now? >_<

I just want to cut the video into seperate pieces and remove a few
parts. It's not exactly rocket science...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I was surprised to hear people say that they actually edit video on a
> normal home PC. I had always assumed that was impossible.
>
> It's beginning to look like it _is_ impossible...

It sure isn't.

> (long journey to arrive at a .VOB file on harddisk)
>
> Now... how in the name of God do you *edit* the thing?! >_<
>
> My first thought was to try Windows MovieMaker. [Last time I tried it I
> found it to be quite useless, but everybody else claims it's fantastic.]
> So I opened it up and tried to give it the video file. Nuh-uh. Won't
> have it. Not interested. So I renamed the file form *.VOB to *.MPG.

Don't do that. The video codec might be the same, but the internal file
structure is completely different.

> (...)
>
> To summarise: I now have a 1.2 GB video file which I can play, but I
> cannot edit in any possible way. What the hell am I supposed to do now? >_<
>
> I just want to cut the video into seperate pieces and remove a few
> parts. It's not exactly rocket science...

OK, here are two ways to do it (there are probably thousands more):

The mentioned software is all free or even open source, google will help
you.

1) [If you like virtualdub and don't mind reencoding you video]

a) run your .vob through DGIndex. You will arrive at an .d2v file and an
audio file for each audio track of your .vob

b) write an avisynth script (.avs) to frameserve that .d2v (or use a
tool like virtualdub to generate one)

c) open .avs in virtualdub, add audio tracks, edit, encode

2) [If you don't like to reencode your video]

a) run your .vob through ProjectX (ProjectX is a software originally
designed to split audio and video from a bunch of mpeg2-container
formats used in DVRs and keeping everthing in sync even in presence of
disturbances. Works well for .vob files too. It might be a bit hard to
find a compiled version [license issues], but it is distributed with a
working build.bat file. [Java SDK needed]). You will arrive at a .mpg
(or .m2v depending on settings) and audio files for all your audio tracks.

b) cut and remux with Mpeg2Schnitt (oops, german only, this is what I
use) or Cuttermaran. (Both are capable of cutting MPEG2 without reencoding)

c) in case the cutting software does not do the muxing of vidoe and
audio track, use a program of your choosing to do so for the desired
container format (mplex, bbmpeg, DVDAuthor, mkvmerge, ...)

Manuel

Post a reply to this message