POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : Re: The misery of video editing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misery of video editing
From: Warp
Date: 25 Oct 2008 16:55:38
Message: <490387c9@news.povray.org>
> >> It's beginning to look like it _is_ impossible...
> >
> >   It's exactly as impossible as, for example, image editing. *Of course*
> > it's impossible if you don't have any *software* for that specific purpose.

> Right. So when everybody tells me that WMM is a fantastic piece of
> software that everybody in the world uses, they're actually lying?

  Probably. Personally I have never heard anyone saying WMM being a video
editing software. (For that matter, I don't consider VirtualDub a video
editing software either. Granted, you can open videos, select a section
of it, apply a few filters and re-encode it to some other format, but that's
about it. That's not really video editing. It's like saying that the
ImageMagick 'convert' utility would be an image editing program. Not really.
It's just a converter program with some additional features. It's not really
an editor.)

  *This* is an example of a video editing program:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

  This is another: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

  I don't remember any free software alternative right now. As I said,
too low demand + too complicated of a program, I suppose.

> >> So I renamed the file form *.VOB to *.MPG.
> >
> >   That reminds me of those anecdotes where someone couldn't get a C program
> > to run, and when asked exactly what he is trying, it results that he is
> > simply renaming the file from *.c to *.exe.

> The difference being, of course, that the video data on a DVD *is* MPEG
> encoded. :-P

  The video data may be mpeg-encoded, but that doesn't mean the surrounding
container format is mpeg-compliant. (I don't know if it is.)

  It's like you had an mpeg video inside an AVI and then just renamed the
.AVI to .MPG and expect an mpeg player to understand it. (Some players
might actually understand it, but I bet most won't, at least if they have
no support for AVI whatsoever.)

--
                                                          - Warp