POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : The misery of video editing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  The misery of video editing
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Oct 2008 08:53:01
Message: <490316ad$1@news.povray.org>
I was surprised to hear people say that they actually edit video on a
normal home PC. I had always assumed that was impossible.

It's beginning to look like it _is_ impossible...

First: My video camera records to mini-DVDs. It has two recording modes:
"video" and "VR". I have several disks full of video, all recorded in VR
mode. My mum's DVD player can play them. My dad's DVD player can play
them. My grandparents' ancient DVD player can play them. But every
*computer* under the Sun solemly swears that the DVDs are completely
blank and there is no data to play.

So today I shot some more video, this time recording in "video" mode.
Still my PC swears blind that the disk is actually blank. So I tried to
finalise the disk. Nope, sorry, can't do that. The camera refuses to
finalise. It shows me the option, but the option is disabled.

In a fit of extreme desperation, I consulted the manual. Guess what? The
camera has to be plugged into the mains to enable the "finalise disk"
option. o_O I mean, yeah, I can see why they're do that, but talk about
non-obvious...!

Anyway, I finalised the disk, and suddenly my PC can read it. Yay! I
immediately copied the 1.2 GB "VTS_01_1.VOB" file to my harddrive and
tried to play it. CyberLink PowerDVD immediately opens up and plays the
video. (In the wrong aspect ratio, but it plays.)

Now... how in the name of God do you *edit* the thing?! >_<

My first thought was to try Windows MovieMaker. [Last time I tried it I
found it to be quite useless, but everybody else claims it's fantastic.]
So I opened it up and tried to give it the video file. Nuh-uh. Won't
have it. Not interested. So I renamed the file form *.VOB to *.MPG. Now
WMM sees it. So I ask it to open the file, and... WMM crashes.
(Something about "too many event handlers to register" or something.)

So then I tried to play the renamed file with Windows Movie Player.
Unfortunately, although it does play, it only plays the first 8 seconds,
and then stops.

I tried to use TMPGEnc to transcode it back to MPEG1. This worked,
but... the transcoded file is 8 seconds long.

Next I tried to process it with VirtualDub. For my trouble, I get an
error message about a malformed packet. (Actually, it says "this packet
appears to be malformed or MPEG-2". So I'm guessing MPEG-2 isn't
supported then?)

To summarise: I now have a 1.2 GB video file which I can play, but I
cannot edit in any possible way. What the hell am I supposed to do now? >_<

I just want to cut the video into seperate pieces and remove a few
parts. It's not exactly rocket science...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/