POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The misery of video editing : Re: The misery of video editing Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misery of video editing
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Oct 2008 17:03:50
Message: <490389b6@news.povray.org>
>> Right. So when everybody tells me that WMM is a fantastic piece of
>> software that everybody in the world uses, they're actually lying?
>
>   Probably. Personally I have never heard anyone saying WMM being a video
> editing software.

Interesting. When I ask people how the hell all those videos on YouTube
are put together, everybody invariably reply "oh, they probably just use
WMM".

> (For that matter, I don't consider VirtualDub a video
> editing software either.

Technically, you can edit video with it. *Technically* you can edit
video with a hex editor. No, it isn't really the same, is it?

>   *This* is an example of a video editing program:
>   http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

My dad has this. (I don't know if he's ever installed it, but he has
it.) Maybe I'll have more luck with that...

>   I don't remember any free software alternative right now. As I said,
> too low demand + too complicated of a program, I suppose.

Hmm... Somebody wrote a complete PostScript interpretter just for the
hell of it (there must surely be zero demand for such a thing, and it's
far more complex than any video codec), yet no free video editors? Oh
well, I guess it goes that way sometimes...

>> The difference being, of course, that the video data on a DVD *is* MPEG
>> encoded. :-P
>
>   The video data may be mpeg-encoded, but that doesn't mean the surrounding
> container format is mpeg-compliant. (I don't know if it is.)

True. But given that I don't have any tools for manipulating it
correctly, I figured it was worth a shot.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/