POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing I hate about youtube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  One thing I hate about youtube (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Warp
Subject: One thing I hate about youtube
Date: 2 Oct 2008 17:22:01
Message: <48e53b79@news.povray.org>
... at least if you have cookies enabled for it.

  If someone gives you a link to a version of youtube which is not the
default english one, let's say for example nl.youtube.com/watch?whatever
and you go there with your web browser, from that time forward you will
be STUCK with the Dutch version of youtube, and you will not be able to
get rid of it, except by deleting the youtube.com cookies. From that
moment whenever you go to youtube (eg. just "youtube.com"), it will
automatically jump to nl.youtube.com, and show you the Dutch version.
You can try to select the English language, but for some reason the
next time you go there, you will again be in the Dutch version, with
all text in Dutch. I have so far not found any way of getting rid of this
other than going to the cookie manager and deleting the youtube cookies.

  This is extremely annoying and braindead. Why do they think that if
you jump to nl.youtube.com, that would mean that you want to see everything
in Dutch from that point forward? Can't they understand that people post
links to youtube everywhere, and that people click on those links? Their
language setting will be permanently screwed up (until they delete their
cookies, at least).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   If someone gives you a link to a version of youtube which is not the
> default english one, let's say for example nl.youtube.com/watch?whatever
> and you go there with your web browser, from that time forward you will
> be STUCK with the Dutch version of youtube. From that
> moment whenever you go to youtube (eg. just "youtube.com"), it will
> automatically jump to nl.youtube.com, and show you the Dutch version.

That's kinda annoying, but understandable.

> You can try to select the English language, but for some reason the
> next time you go there, you will again be in the Dutch version, with
> all text in Dutch. I have so far not found any way of getting rid of this
> other than going to the cookie manager and deleting the youtube cookies.

OK, *that* is completely stupid. There really is no excuse for that not
working...

(I can perhaps see why it might do that, but that isn't the point. It's
clearly broken, and they should fix it.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> That's kinda annoying, but understandable.

Not really. Every browser request includes the list of languages you
want pages in, and the order of preference. Saving language preferences
(or even setting it from links on a web site) is braindead to start
with. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>> That's kinda annoying, but understandable.
>
> Not really. Every browser request includes the list of languages you
> want pages in, and the order of preference. Saving language preferences
> (or even setting it from links on a web site) is braindead to start
> with. :-)

You sound like an idealist who follows web standards to the letter ignoring
that in practice not everything works perfectly. Like, that the Accept (or
Accept-Language) header won't always have meaningful values because
browsers suck or users don't know where the browser language setting is.

In other words, you sound just like me.

Post a reply to this message