POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One thing I hate about youtube : Re: One thing I hate about youtube Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One thing I hate about youtube
From: Joel Yliluoma
Date: 9 Oct 2008 03:12:56
Message: <48edaef8$1@news.povray.org>
On 2 Oct 2008 17:22:01 -0400, Warp wrote:
> ... at least if you have cookies enabled for it.
>
>   If someone gives you a link to a version of youtube which is not the
> default english one, let's say for example nl.youtube.com/watch?whatever
> and you go there with your web browser, from that time forward you will
> be STUCK with the Dutch version of youtube, and you will not be able to
> get rid of it, except by deleting the youtube.com cookies. From that
> moment whenever you go to youtube (eg. just "youtube.com"), it will
> automatically jump to nl.youtube.com, and show you the Dutch version.
> You can try to select the English language, but for some reason the
> next time you go there, you will again be in the Dutch version, with
> all text in Dutch. I have so far not found any way of getting rid of this
> other than going to the cookie manager and deleting the youtube cookies.
>
>   This is extremely annoying and braindead. Why do they think that if
> you jump to nl.youtube.com, that would mean that you want to see everything
> in Dutch from that point forward? Can't they understand that people post
> links to youtube everywhere, and that people click on those links? Their
> language setting will be permanently screwed up (until they delete their
> cookies, at least).

Even worse: If you have a notification on, and you receive a message
that someone has commented on your movie, you will receive the message
in whatever language the _commenter_ used for their site.
E.g. if a German person comments on your movie (even in English), the
notification template will be in German language, and it will point
to de.youtube.com, which will have the language of your browsing
sessions also assimilated to German.

--
Joel Yliluoma - http://iki.fi/bisqwit/