POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fruits of my labour Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  The fruits of my labour (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: The fruits of my labour
Date: 21 Sep 2008 14:45:40
Message: <48d69654$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so here it is:

   http://download.orphi.me.uk/Music/G3/WidorToccata.ogg

The toccata from Widor's Symphonie No. 5 in F major. As played by *me*.

What you're hearing here is literally me sitting at my keyboard, playing
in realtime. No editing, no corrections, no dubbing, just recorded live.
(Hence the dropped notes, dud timing and embarrasing pauses as I attempt
to remember which notes come next, and snap bones and tendons to fit my
fingers into the required positions!)

The sound is provided by Native Instrument's Kontakt 3 product, which
has a vast ( = 3 DVDs! ) sample library which includes (amoung many
other things) a pipe organ. It has 3 settings: "Fonds + Quint", "Vox
Humaine 8'" and "Pos-Scharff", which is the one I'm using here. For no
particular reason. It just has a faster attack to it, that's all. I have
no idea which organ stops you're actually *supposed* to use for this work...

My synthesizer does in fact have a fairly good pipe organ simulation,
but it doesn't really compare to recordings of the real thing. I think
you'll agree, this sounds pretty damned impressive! Somehow, playing
with a sound like this, I find myself taking the playing that much more
seriously... as if it really were a giant pipe organ or something.

Anyway, enough of that - what do you guys thing of my playing skills?

(Yes, I admit it, I'm only playing two thirds of the toccata. And yes,
some of the bass notes are in the wrong octave. My keyboard is quite
small compared to a real organ, and I don't have any pedals!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/