POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  A question (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: m a r c
Subject: Re: A question
Date: 18 Sep 2008 04:42:11
Message: <48d21463$1@news.povray.org>

48d20b02$1@news.povray.org...
> What *I* want to know is... in films, it's common to just punch somebody
> in the head and them be instantly knocked out. Is it actually possible to
> do this IRL? Is it really that easy? Do you wake up with just a headache,
> or permanent brain damage? Surely you'd at least have bruising??

That is a very bad idea and my advice is not to try it at home (or anywhere
else :-)
A shock at the head is very hazardous because you can't really know how
strong you can hit.
It can cause bleeding in the brain even if the skull is not cracked. You can
recover fast and leave then die in the next hours.
Even without bleeding, a brain shock can cause lifelong after-effects.
After a loss of conciousness caused by a head shock, the place to go is to
hospital.

Films often give the impression that it is like taking a sleeping pill but
that's not so harmless.

with a minimum of seriousness.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

>> What *I* want to know is... in films, it's common to just punch somebody
>> in the head and them be instantly knocked out. Is it actually possible to
>> do this IRL? Is it really that easy? Do you wake up with just a headache,
>> or permanent brain damage? Surely you'd at least have bruising??
>
> That is a very bad idea and my advice is not to try it at home (or anywhere
> else :-)

So noted.

> You can recover fast and leave then die in the next hours.

Oh, nice! So like the Death Cap then?

> Even without bleeding, a brain shock can cause lifelong after-effects.

Mmm, nice...

> Films often give the impression that it is like taking a sleeping pill but
> that's not so harmless.

> with a minimum of seriousness.

See, for example, Pirates of the Caribean: Curse of the Black Pearl.
Will gets smashed over the head with some kind of metal implement and is
instantly knocked out. Next morning, he wakes up with a sore head, and
sets off to rescue the damsel in distress... hmm?

Post a reply to this message