POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question : Re: A question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Sep 2008 04:04:05
Message: <gib9d45abbbo84tbk1mgtvmiln34dsc7vh@4ax.com>
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:03:37 +0200, "scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

>Question: Does such a substance exist in real life?  What is it?

What you are seeing is a hangover from the days when women (and some men) wore
tightly corseted clothes. This restricted their breathing and the fainting was
generally caused by a lack of sufficient blood and oxygen in the brain. A faint
has a low score on the Glasgow Coma Scale meaning it is not a deep state of
unconsciousness. Since the sense of smell is one of the last things we loose
when we loose consciousness a strong smell will often elicit a response. (Before
smelling salts became common burning feathers were used.)
--

Regards
     Stephen