POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Lightning in movies (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Warp
Subject: Lightning in movies
Date: 2 Sep 2008 14:26:00
Message: <48bd8538@news.povray.org>
This one puzzles me really:

  In almost all movies and TV series, where there's lightning, the sound
of the thunder is played exactly at the same time. I can't remember any
exceptions to this rule.

  I really can't understand why. In reality the thunder almost never
starts sounding immediately with the lightning but there's always a
pause, often of several seconds. Practically 100% of people know this
from lifelong experience.

  So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
the lightning and the thunder? They know there should be a pause, all
the viewers know it, no viewer would get bothered by there having a
realistic pause because they know it should be there. So why? Why this
odd rule?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message