POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies : Re: Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning in movies
From: St
Date: 2 Sep 2008 18:19:04
Message: <48bdbbd8$1@news.povray.org>
news:48bdaff3$1@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>>  Isn't it a rule of thumb that for every second after the lightning until
>> the thunder sounds, that's one mile per second? Hence 9 seconds, the
>> storm is 9 miles away from you?
>
> Sound travels about 1000 feet per second, and there are about 5000 feet in
> a mile, so five seconds is one mile.

 What I said above is a true 'Old Wive's Tale' here in the UK. I've heard it
so many times now...

> I was once running home down a mountain trail when it started to rain,
> with my brother beside me, and lightning went between the two of us
> (incidentally striking the building we were running towards, going in the
> window and out the door to ground).  It was the *loudest* and *brightest*
> thing I'd ever heard, needless to say.  I remember being stunned still,
> and then a few seconds later looking up to see my brother running down the
> hill screaming and waving his hands over his head. I always thought it was
> comedic exaggeration to run waving your hands over your head, but I guess
> not.

   Wow, great memories! Great story! I too, have a memory like that, but it
concerns a 'lightening ball'.

   When I was around 9 years old, I joined a boxing club and really got into
it with the training and such. Got my nose punched badly in my first
sparring debut. ;)

      Ran home with a bleeding nose, lol. But it was like 5 miles from home,
and half way home, it started raining. And then thunder and lightening. And
then, right next to a lamp post, this amazing blue/white ball of lightening
fizzled and hovered above me and then zipped away...

    It was an amazing sight, and I'll never forget that.

       ~Steve~