POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lightning in movies : Re: Lightning in movies Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning in movies
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Sep 2008 15:25:04
Message: <48bd9310$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So why are movie makers so afraid of putting a realistic pause between
> the lightning and the thunder?

I *have* noticed that in a couple of places, where you see an unexpected
  explosion, the sound follows realistically later, and it's actually
kind of distracting. (Like, in the first Final Fantasy when the plane
blows up, as an example.)

I've also noticed that's *not* true when the lightning isn't close
enough to affect the characters. If they're (say) standing out on the
balcony talking, and the storm is out over the city somewhere, the
lightning and thunder don't go together. It's only when the lightning is
playing a part in the plot or mood that it happens at the same time, I
think.

Maybe the trope is so there it would be distracting to have it realistic.

I recently watched a movie with "realistic" dialog. Four people in a
garage start-up, all talking at once, all using technical terms and
pointing at things and upstaging each other, half the time mumbling. It
was pretty awful, even tho that's how you'd really do it in real life.
However, not actually *being* there, not having binocular vision (so you
can see around someone pointing at something) and not having binaural
hearing (so you can listen to two people talk at once) made half the
movie incomprehensible. (The other half was incomprehensible because it
was a time-travel movie and they never told the audience who was (or
even how many were) the "new" guy and who was the "original" guy :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)