POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New phone Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  New phone (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: New phone
Date: 26 Aug 2008 12:28:41
Message: <48b42f39@news.povray.org>
> Invisible wrote:
> > Also, what's with all these "locked" phones? What's all that about?

> It keeps you from using the phone with a different carrier. Since the
> carrier subsidized the phone, they "lock" it to keep you from buying a
> cheap phone from them and then using it without paying back the subsidy.

  IIRC, that's illegal in Finland. (Which is the reason why the Finnish
release of the iPhone has been so postponed.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Aug 2008 12:32:27
Message: <48b4301b@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> I'm still one of those folks who refuses to get a cell phone. (Actually,
> I have a cheap prepaid one for emergencies, but that doesn't count).
> Don't know about the UK, but I just think they're way overpriced here
> and I have no intention of getting into a contract. And I don't like
> their practices, the cell phone culture, etc.

  Don't know about how things are where you live, but at least here
cellphones are *by far* the cheapest way to own a phone line. A landline
is nowadays a lot more expensive than a cheap cellphone connection.
Especially if you don't call a lot (like in my case) it can be *ridiculously*
cheap. (My last cellphone bill was something like 23 euros. And the bill was
for the last 6 months. I actually just changed to an even cheaper contract,
so the bills will lower even from that.)

  It can be very handy when your few friends can contact you anytime
anywhere.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message