POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New phone : Re: New phone Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New phone
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2008 13:29:03
Message: <48b43d5f$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:59:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> In the US this is typically not the case, or hasn't been until recent
>> years.
>
> Yeah. When 96%+ of the households are already wired for land lines, it's
> pretty cheap to get a land line connection.  Cell phone prices are
> coming down because of the competition here, but the whole confusopoly
> of pricing is bizarre.

Yeah.  I don't even know what rate plan I'm on (I think it's a fixed plan
since that's the corporate standard and it's paid by the company - which
is why I don't know) + unlimited data for the BES service.

The thing that's surprised me is how much prices have increased for
landline and cable services in the last few years.

> I saw an ad just this morning, describing how you could sign up for a
> plan that would let the parents dynamically limit the number of text
> messages and minutes the children could have. As in, "you didn't pass
> your math test, so you only get 20 minutes of cell phone this month."
> The cynical part of me immediately assumed that the phone would continue
> to allow calls, and the parents would just get charged overage fees. :-)

I wonder if that's how it really would work; that'd make for a quick
sale, but not a lot of retention.  Thing is, many business people seem to
only think of the quick sale.

Jim