POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LHC Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  LHC (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: LHC
Date: 4 Aug 2008 12:18:04
Message: <48972bbc$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> For example, the transit system that takes you over a pit full of liquid
> radioactive waste. Why would any sane engineer design a system this way?

You mean in the opening sequence of HL1? It should have been obvious it
was a broken tank.  In Opposing Force, you go past it later as a
different character and it has been patched up (badly).  Loved that part.

> Or how about the electricity generator, suspended over a 200-feet deep
> casm, with no hand rails or any other kind of safety feature, that can
> only be switched on from the top, and requires you to race back down
> past the naked, live, electrified take-off leads? Who in their right
> mind designs equipment like this?!?

Don't forget the giant fan that can only be switched on from underneath
the blades, with the ladder out going up past the blades, requiring you
to run out before they get up to speed.

> And what the hell is the deal with that "surgical unit"? o_O

Which one? That I don't recall.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Ever notice how people in a zombie movie never already know how to

Post a reply to this message

>> For example, the transit system that takes you over a pit full of
>> liquid radioactive waste. Why would any sane engineer design a system
>> this way?
>
> You mean in the opening sequence of HL1? It should have been obvious it
> was a broken tank.  In Opposing Force, you go past it later as a
> different character and it has been patched up (badly).  Loved that part.

Mmm, really?

> Don't forget the giant fan that can only be switched on from underneath
> the blades, with the ladder out going up past the blades, requiring you
> to run out before they get up to speed.

Oh yeah, THAT! I mean, dude, WTF?!

In some places, it's clear that structural damage has occurred. In
others, there simply seems to be a shocking lack of basic safety design. :-P

>> And what the hell is the deal with that "surgical unit"? o_O
>
> Which one? That I don't recall.

I *think* it's in Questionable Ethics, or it might be Vicarious Reality.
Either way, you battle your way through a marine-infested set of test
labs which also house those huge alien warriors. At one point you find a
group of scientists hiding in a lab, but they can't get out because
"Simmons turned on the surgical unit" - which consists of two rotating
blades that you have to sneak past to get to the controls to turn the
thing off. WHY would you design a system this way??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> "Simmons turned on the surgical unit" - which consists of two rotating
> blades that you have to sneak past to get to the controls to turn the
> thing off.

Oh yeah. That surgical unit. :-)