POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LHC : Re: LHC Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LHC
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 4 Aug 2008 15:22:36
Message: <489756fc$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> 2. Why would such a leathal device not have emergency stop buttons all
> over the friggin' place?

Actually, I think E-Stop is required for anything that moves. We have a
mill saw that cuts pieces by moving them on a conveyor, there's a trip
wire around the whole thing that is connected directly to the E-Stop.
Also, I believe e-stop has to be wired as a normally closed switch,
meaning if the wires to the button failed, e-stop would be automatic.

> The answer, obviously, is that this wouldn't make very exciting
> gameplay. ;-) But that's still a kinda unsatisfying answer...

Yeah, if they modeled levels on reality, they'd be rather dull and
uninteresting. So, you get things like an off switch buried deep inside
something that looks like a large industrial grade meat grinder that can
be pressed if you time it just so ... or come out the other end of the
machine in a sausage casing. OSHA would have a field day with that one.