POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Need for speed (Message 79 to 88 of 168)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Ah, history
Date: 15 Jul 2008 15:15:22
Message: <487cf74a@news.povray.org>
>> ...OK, WHERE the HELL do you buy something that has 128 CPUs in it??
>> O_O This information surely has a most direct relevance to all who
>> worship POV-Ray...!
>
> http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/4000/

"Price: Ask a salesman."

So... the price depends on who you ask? x_x

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 15 Jul 2008 15:19:37
Message: <487cf849$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> "Price: Ask a salesman."
>
> So... the price depends on who you ask? x_x

On that level, there ain't much salesmen to ask from. But I'd guess the
price is defined by what the machine actually will be, where it'll be
and how good coffees you offer to the salesman.

But darn, that should be capable of counting (512 pcs of dualcore
Itaniums, mmmm...).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:15:23 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> ...OK, WHERE the HELL do you buy something that has 128 CPUs in it??
>>> O_O This information surely has a most direct relevance to all who
>>> worship POV-Ray...!
>>
>> http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/4000/
>
> "Price: Ask a salesman."
>
> So... the price depends on who you ask? x_x

No, but pricing isn't always a simple thing with a complex setup.

Jim

Post a reply to this message