POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Jul 2008 04:28:33
Message: <487db131@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Mmm, I'm seeing *a lot* of references to the PS3 in relation to high
>> performance computing. I know nothing about it, but from the sheer
>> weight of references, I'm guessing it's moderately well-equipted?
>
> There's a nice article on Wikipedia about the processor
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_processor

Yeah, I'm reading about it now. (Hmm, I guess I'm not the only person
who still thinks 512 MB RAM is a lot. ;-)

>> Actually, just porting POV-Ray to run on a GPU would probably yield
>> some interesting speedups. You'd have to radically restructure the
>> program to take advantage of the way GPUs work, but it should be quite
>> fast...
>
> The problem is still floating point precision on the GPU - wait until
> they get double precision throughout the pipeline and we'll begin to see
> some interesting stuff.

nVidia GeForce 200 series is ment to offer double-precision when driven
using CUDA...

> Also, as Warp always mentions, realistic
> multi-level reflections and refractions are not simple at all (compared
> to the basic "environment mapping" that almost every game uses).

It's a completely different algorithm to be sure. The mathematics is
simple enough - it's figuring out how to make it efficient on real-world
hardware that's the hard part. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/