POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need for speed : Re: Ah, history Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ah, history
From: scott
Date: 16 Jul 2008 03:50:26
Message: <487da842@news.povray.org>
> Mmm, I'm seeing *a lot* of references to the PS3 in relation to high
> performance computing. I know nothing about it, but from the sheer weight
> of references, I'm guessing it's moderately well-equipted?

There's a nice article on Wikipedia about the processor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_processor

> Actually, just porting POV-Ray to run on a GPU would probably yield some
> interesting speedups. You'd have to radically restructure the program to
> take advantage of the way GPUs work, but it should be quite fast...

The problem is still floating point precision on the GPU - wait until they
get double precision throughout the pipeline and we'll begin to see some
interesting stuff.  Also, as Warp always mentions, realistic multi-level
reflections and refractions are not simple at all (compared to the basic
"environment mapping" that almost every game uses).