POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Complains about Vista (Message 90 to 99 of 129)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Complains about Vista
Date: 8 Jul 2008 15:51:55
Message: <4873c55b$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:45:25 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Other than audio and video data (which is inherantly large), I can't
>>> think of anything you can do with a computer that actually uses much
>>> memory. Playing games involves audio and video data, but I'm
>>> hard-pressed to think of anything else...
>>
>> Virtualization of multiple OSes.  Lots of people use VMware for
>> testbeds and such, that takes a good amount of memory.
>
> Surely you'd only *attempt* such a thing on an extremely high-end server
> though? (Recall that Vista is a desktop OS.)

Nope.  IT classrooms typically buy the cheapest hardware they can
possibly purchase - usually desktop machines - and then run a virtual
server envrionment.

For lab work, high-end hardware is typically also not used unless
hardware duplication needs to be done for testing.  Many of the machines
I've used in labs have been discarded desktops for users who upgraded to
better machines.  Old Compaq Deskpro machines and the like.

I have a Compaq EVO 600 sitting here on my desk at home that's running
VMware Server, and on my Linux laptops, I have VMware Workstation
installed so I can have access to Windows for the one or two odd
occasions where I absolutely must have it (and I hate having to use it at
all).  Without the 2 GB of RAM in my laptop, I wouldn't be able to do
that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message