POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: scott
Date: 9 Jul 2008 03:10:58
Message: <48746482@news.povray.org>
> I remember when Myst first came out on a CD. Wow, over 600 meg on one
> read-only disk. "Well," I thought, "there goes the end of game pirating.
> You'd never be able to copy such a thing onto a hard drive."

Yep I remember that time too, when previous games I had came on up to 10
floppies.  Then this CD drive came out and could store 600 meg - the first
few data CDs I got (the entire archive of a certain magazine's cover discs,
and a couple of games) only used about a quarter of the CD.  Now we have
games that come on multiple DVDs, surely the step to blu-ray can't be that
far off now.

> And yeah, it's nice to have a 10G text file, wonder how you're going to
> trim lines off the top and bottom conveniently, and then realize you are
> on a 64-bit machine with 16G of RAM, so you just fire up VI.

For me it's just nice that my PC can be chugging away processing a 5GB
simulation, and yet I can carry on working as normal (Outlook, powerpoint,
excel etc) as if it's doing nothing else.