POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Jul 2008 04:07:27
Message: <487471bf$1@news.povray.org>
>> Maybe I've missed something, but what image editing software gives you
>> more than 1 level of undo?
>
> The GIMP.  It's in your price range, too :)

Uhuh. And who (apart from me) uses that?

>> I own a camcorder. It bearly produces SD quality, never mind HD! And
>> it was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Sounds like an old cam-corder.

It's only about 1 year old.

> Put it this way: 4 years ago, when I
> worked at Best Buy (not the cheapest shop, mind you), you could buy an
> SD camcorder for <$200 (that's about GBP130).  You could buy a really
> nice HD one for $800 (GBP500 or so).

Doesn't necessarily mean that you can buy it in the UK for that price.

UK. I'm also told - I don't know if it's true - that CDs are roughly 10x
cheaper in America than here.)

>>> A quick Google revealed that in 2006 8% of homes had an HD-capable TV.
>>
>> That's a really tiny percentage.
>
> That's about what Macs have, and they're not exactly rare.

Rare enough that in my entire life, I've never seen a real Mac. Except
on TV.

>> And let's not forget, you still need an HD source. Those are still
>> prohibitively expensive too. (Last I heard, a BluRay player is abour

> You can get a PS3 for $399 now (GBP 250), or a stand-alone player for
> $200 (GBP 130).

>> This suggests to me that you only need large stacks of RAM if you're
>> doing professional video editing work. I mean seriously, I don't even
>> *know* anybody else rich enough to afford a video camera, much less
>> technically expert enough to attempt to *edit* video beyond what you
>> can do with a DVD recorder...
>
> You need to get new friends, the ones you have are affecting your
> viewpoint :)

"New" friends? What makes you think I have any to start with?

I said I didn't *know* anybody - nothing about being friends with them. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/