POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  10 things to use a Min Heap for (Message 69 to 78 of 108)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
Date: 23 Jun 2008 05:15:27
Message: <485f69af@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> I wouldn't work in London if you *paid* me for it! :-P
>>>
>> ...and what's wrong with London?
>
> Heh. Where to start?
>
> It's old, dirty, overcrowded, expensive, and it looks like the decaying
> ruins of a fallen civilisation. What's to like?

Woah, there! Be careful of what you speak!
I agree that London's old - that means it's got over 2000 years of
history behind it and that is fascinating in itself. I've lived here
most of my life and I'm still finding new places to visit.
Dirty? Only in the same way that many large cities are dirty. We have a
problem with clearing litter especially in the main tourist
thoroughfares but part of that is down to the tourists themselves;
residential areas are a totally different ballgame.
Overcrowded? Less than 8M people in an urban area that is 32km north to
south and 50km west to east. That is _not_ crowded.
Expensive? I'll give you that. We are the second most expensive in the
world (after Moscow). Of course that means that salaries have to be
commensurately higher to compensate :-)
Your final comment I will treat with the contempt it deserves. If you
had travelled on any scale you would have encountered many places that
would scare the s**t out of you and cause you to seek immediate medical
attention for the multiple infections you would be scared you had caught
whilst visiting them. London is not one of them.
I liked meeting you, Andrew, but please don't lower my opinion of you by
ill-informed mocking of a city that I love.

John (feeling well p***ed-off)

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2008 06:06:29
Message: <485f75a5$1@news.povray.org>
>> It's old, dirty, overcrowded, expensive, and it looks like the decaying
>> ruins of a fallen civilisation. What's to like?
>
> It's got character, it's exciting and the streets are paved with gold.

I never did quite get that - surely gold is the worst possible material
to pave streets with, no? ;-)

> It is also bad form, old chap to slag off in public, where people
> live. (Social etiquette rule #10)

Really? Nobody seems to have the slightest problem with repeatedly
telling me that Milton Keynes is a dump that should never have been
built, etc.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2008 06:22:09
Message: <485f7951@news.povray.org>
>> It's old, dirty, overcrowded, expensive, and it looks like the decaying
>> ruins of a fallen civilisation. What's to like?
>>
> Woah, there! Be careful of what you speak!

I guess it *is* that early on a Monday morning... Maybe if I'd been more
awake I would have just not answered the question.

> Dirty? Only in the same way that many large cities are dirty.

I guess it's not so much that it *is* dirty more than it *seems* dirty.
You've got all the crumbling, blackened buildings, the noise and
pollution from the intense traffic, and it makes the place seem more
grimy than it is.

> Overcrowded? Less than 8M people in an urban area that is 32km north to
> south and 50km west to east. That is _not_ crowded.

See, to me, any place where you have to queue for 20 minutes just to
_walk through a shop door_ is catastrophically overcrowded, IMHO.

> Expensive? I'll give you that.

Well there's not much use denying it. ;-) Hmm, I wonder where the
*cheapest* place in the UK is? I'd hypothesise somewhere not nice...

> Your final comment I will treat with the contempt it deserves.

Fair enough. You are of course entitled to your opinion. But you did
*ask* me what's wrong with London. ;-) You can't really ask somebody why
they don't like something and then be all upset when they tell you they
don't like it.

> I liked meeting you, Andrew, but please don't lower my opinion of you by
> ill-informed mocking of a city that I love.
>
> John (feeling well p***ed-off)

Well, I can relate to that. Everybody I meet thinks that Milton Keynes
is a deserlate wasteland that should be erased from the map. I can't
begin to imagine why... It's certainly not perfect, but it's so much
nicer than any other city I've ever seen.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jun 2008 06:55:55
Message: <m70v5410o8tlj85omqe1b8a5hkkcb9a7hf@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:06:29 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> It's old, dirty, overcrowded, expensive, and it looks like the decaying
>>> ruins of a fallen civilisation. What's to like?
>>
>> It's got character, it's exciting and the streets are paved with gold.
>
>I never did quite get that - surely gold is the worst possible material
>to pave streets with, no? ;-)

Metaphorically speaking :)

>> It is also bad form, old chap to slag off in public, where people
>> live. (Social etiquette rule #10)
>
>Really? Nobody seems to have the slightest problem with repeatedly
>telling me that Milton Keynes is a dump that should never have been
>built, etc.

Yeah! But doesn't it annoy you? It is not said to make them your best
friend. Take it from me you don't criticise where someone decides to
live or where they are born unless they start it.
It is a national sport in Scotland to slag off England. OMG how could
you possibly live there? - Because it is far away from the likes of
you. Is the only answer other than "Feck Off.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 23 Jun 2008 07:06:36
Message: <485f83bc@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Fair enough. You are of course entitled to your opinion. But you did
> *ask* me what's wrong with London. ;-) You can't really ask somebody why
> they don't like something and then be all upset when they tell you they
> don't like it.
Andrew, when are you going to understand that the question posed was a
rhetorical one? The clue was in the fact that I stated:
> ....and what's wrong with London (apart from the fact that Stephen and I
> both live here)?
Surely you must have noticed that I implied that Stephen and I living
here made London a bad place. Let me spell it out to you
S E L F  M O C K I N G  H U M O U R
It comes under the same heading as "I am allowed to criticise my
girlfriend and her habits but if you try you will certainly die"

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jun 2008 07:10:39
Message: <o31v54dcl0jkemnmvonujavvee6hh9vogk@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:06:27 +0100, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>It comes under the same heading as "I am allowed to criticise my
>girlfriend and her habits but if you try you will certainly die"

Slowly :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2008 08:01:11
Message: <485f9087$1@news.povray.org>
>> It comes under the same heading as "I am allowed to criticise my
>> girlfriend and her habits but if you try you will certainly die"
>
> Slowly :)

._.

Damn. At least computer's don't threaten to kill you if you say
something they don't like...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jun 2008 08:15:41
Message: <2v4v541pjq047ltufnh4p63ee8qvmco405@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:01:13 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> It comes under the same heading as "I am allowed to criticise my
>>> girlfriend and her habits but if you try you will certainly die"
>>
>> Slowly :)
>

>._.
>

>Damn. At least computer's don't threaten to kill you if you say
>something they don't like...

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 23 Jun 2008 10:27:14
Message: <op.uc7g69nwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:05:34 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

#10 Exception 1: Unless you also live there and have done so for more then
10 years.
#10 Exception 2: It's Milton Keynes

I'm kidding about that last one, but not so much about the first.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2008 10:30:36
Message: <485fb38c$1@news.povray.org>
Why does everybody hate Milton Keynes so much?

Is it the concrete cows?

...it is, isn't it?

[You know, when I first lived here, those were actually cow-shaped. Now
they've been vandelised so many times that they're just mishapen blobs
of concrete painted black and white... Less well-known are the two
concrete dinosaurs tucked away here.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/