POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10 things to use a Min Heap for : Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 10 things to use a Min Heap for
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2008 06:22:09
Message: <485f7951@news.povray.org>
>> It's old, dirty, overcrowded, expensive, and it looks like the decaying
>> ruins of a fallen civilisation. What's to like?
>>
> Woah, there! Be careful of what you speak!

I guess it *is* that early on a Monday morning... Maybe if I'd been more
awake I would have just not answered the question.

> Dirty? Only in the same way that many large cities are dirty.

I guess it's not so much that it *is* dirty more than it *seems* dirty.
You've got all the crumbling, blackened buildings, the noise and
pollution from the intense traffic, and it makes the place seem more
grimy than it is.

> Overcrowded? Less than 8M people in an urban area that is 32km north to
> south and 50km west to east. That is _not_ crowded.

See, to me, any place where you have to queue for 20 minutes just to
_walk through a shop door_ is catastrophically overcrowded, IMHO.

> Expensive? I'll give you that.

Well there's not much use denying it. ;-) Hmm, I wonder where the
*cheapest* place in the UK is? I'd hypothesise somewhere not nice...

> Your final comment I will treat with the contempt it deserves.

Fair enough. You are of course entitled to your opinion. But you did
*ask* me what's wrong with London. ;-) You can't really ask somebody why
they don't like something and then be all upset when they tell you they
don't like it.

> I liked meeting you, Andrew, but please don't lower my opinion of you by
> ill-informed mocking of a city that I love.
>
> John (feeling well p***ed-off)

Well, I can relate to that. Everybody I meet thinks that Milton Keynes
is a deserlate wasteland that should be erased from the map. I can't
begin to imagine why... It's certainly not perfect, but it's so much
nicer than any other city I've ever seen.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/