POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why aren't we all using Simula? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Why aren't we all using Simula? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chambers
Subject: Why aren't we all using Simula?
Date: 6 Apr 2008 15:58:52
Message: <47f92b7c$1@news.povray.org>
From http://www.moserware.com/2008/03/computing-history-matters.html:

(Quoting Bjarne Stroustrup):
"SIMULA's class-based type system was a huge plus, but its run-time
performance was hopeless:

The poor runtime characteristics were a function of the language and its
implementation. The overhead problems were fundamental to SIMULA and
could not be remedied. The cost arose from several language features and
their interactions: run-time type checking, guaranteed initialization of
variables, concurrency support, and garbage collection..."

(And Jeff Moser writes):
"I find it amusing that a lot of the "new" ideas in languages and
runtimes are just bringing back things from Simula that C++ took out."

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?  That we've spent fourty years
discovering the necessity of features that Simula had, but were
considered too advanced for the time?

Kind of like how many algorithms in CG were actually written about in
the 70s, but computers were too slow to implement them realtime until now.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> It boggles the mind, doesn't it?  That we've spent fourty years
> discovering the necessity of features that Simula had, but were
> considered too advanced for the time?

I'd comment on that, but the link doesn't appear to work...

> Kind of like how many algorithms in CG were actually written about in
> the 70s, but computers were too slow to implement them realtime until now.

Well, in fairness, CG *is* in inherantly math-intensive field.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> It boggles the mind, doesn't it?  That we've spent fourty years
>> discovering the necessity of features that Simula had, but were
>> considered too advanced for the time?
>
> I'd comment on that, but the link doesn't appear to work...

Blah, that colon on the end isn't supposed to be part of the link!
Here's the correct one:

http://www.moserware.com/2008/03/computing-history-matters.html

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

> Well, in fairness, CG *is* in inherantly math-intensive field.

Not really. It's more a massively-parallelizable field. :-) Each
individual step (unless you're simulating QED) is pretty simplistic. You
just have to do it 23 gazillion times.

Just like the real world. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

>> Well, in fairness, CG *is* in inherantly math-intensive field.
>
> Not really. It's more a massively-parallelizable field. :-) Each
> individual step (unless you're simulating QED) is pretty simplistic. You
> just have to do it 23 gazillion times.
>
> Just like the real world. :-)

Is *that* why the human brain is massively parallel, yet only runs at
200 MHz?

Post a reply to this message

> Is *that* why the human brain is massively parallel, yet only runs at
> 200 MHz?

I think the M in MHz does not belong there:

http://vadim.oversigma.com/MAS862/Project.html

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message