POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why aren't we all using Simula? : Why aren't we all using Simula? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Why aren't we all using Simula?
From: Chambers
Date: 6 Apr 2008 15:58:52
Message: <47f92b7c$1@news.povray.org>
From http://www.moserware.com/2008/03/computing-history-matters.html:

(Quoting Bjarne Stroustrup):
"SIMULA's class-based type system was a huge plus, but its run-time
performance was hopeless:

The poor runtime characteristics were a function of the language and its
implementation. The overhead problems were fundamental to SIMULA and
could not be remedied. The cost arose from several language features and
their interactions: run-time type checking, guaranteed initialization of
variables, concurrency support, and garbage collection..."

(And Jeff Moser writes):
"I find it amusing that a lot of the "new" ideas in languages and
runtimes are just bringing back things from Simula that C++ took out."

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?  That we've spent fourty years
discovering the necessity of features that Simula had, but were
considered too advanced for the time?

Kind of like how many algorithms in CG were actually written about in
the 70s, but computers were too slow to implement them realtime until now.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com