POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  CD collection (Message 127 to 136 of 166)
From: Nekar
Subject: Re: CD collection
Date: 10 Feb 2008 09:51:30
Message: <47af0f72@news.povray.org>
news:47adf2e9$1@news.povray.org...
> andrel wrote:
> > Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> >>
> >> Ever heard a Persian guy sing "Amazing Grace"? That song is boring at
> >> the best of times...
> >>
> > just to be sure, we are talking about this boring piece?
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pK4PtJiOPE
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XdXEJEI4E
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpye0M34JQ
>
> Yes, that one.
>
> (And trust me, even the most interesting song sounds boring when played
> on a guitar using 3 chords and a flat strumming rhythem. So when you
> start with a boring song in the first place... Not Good.)

On a completely different note, I like Victor Wootens version  =)
I like to call it "Amazing Bass" ;]

-Nekar

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar
Date: 10 Feb 2008 09:56:04
Message: <47af1084@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:08:06 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>
> > Jim Henderson wrote:
> >
> >> You played violin?  That's cool. :-)
> >>
> >> Did you just take lessons in school, or private lessons, or self-study?
> >
> > All students at my school were required to learn violin and recorder.
> > But then the music teacher retired, and the music lessens stopped.
> > Eventually they found a replacement, but we only learned how to play
> > electronic keyboard [or rather, how to call up the autobacking]. Oh, and
> > guitar. Ever heard a Persian guy sing "Amazing Grace"? That song is
> > boring at the best of times...
>
> Interesting; I was going to say that I had never heard of a school doing
> that, but we were required to learn recorder, autoharp, and to sing in
> the choir.
>
> > Interesting fact: When *you* play a violin, it sounds nothing like what
> > you hear on the TV. It sounds like somebody dragging a strip of horse
> > hair over a cheese wire. (Which, actually, is what it is.) I always
> > assumed my violin was just naff. But then one day the teacher is, like,
> > "no no Andrew, that F is flat. Give me that!" She takes my violin and
> > plays what I had just been playing. Except it sounds amazing.
> >
> > Um, OK. So it's *me* that's naff. :-|
>
> No, it just takes practice - years of practice - to get good sound out of
> an instrument (doesn't matter what).  I can make my violin make horrible
> sounds as well - it has to do with getting the right pressure and speed
> of the bow across the strings - too much pressure and not enough speed,
> and it sounds exactly like you described.

It also depends on the type of instrument. I would say a good violinist
needs to have aquired perfect pitch. If andrew played the piano the same way
he played the violin it would sound ten times better. I would say frettless
stringed instruments are the most difficult to learn.

-Nekar

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 10 Feb 2008 10:19:36
Message: <47af1608$1@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen escribió:
> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Yes, but then you assume that the watermarking is done on the bit-level.
>>>
>>> What if they change the music somewhat in a way that will survive format
>>> conversion ? (E.g. tiny changes in volume levels within a frequency
>>> band, small phase shifts, changes in the dynamic range, added noise or a
>>> combination of some of these.)
>>>
>>> There will only have to be minor changes to the sound, as they will only
>>> have to encode something like e.g. 30 bits into more than 100s of sound
>>> in 2 channels.
>> I'd think that the conversion back and forth would modify an attempt like
>> this enough.  Remember that mp3 encoding is lossy, not lossless.
>
> Yes, I know. And to overcome that, just don't make the changes to the
> sound THAT small.

Yeah, encode the username in the lyrics. Hey, I can hear my name if I
play this song backwards!

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 10 Feb 2008 11:38:30
Message: <47af2886$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar wrote:

> I would say frettless
> stringed instruments are the most difficult to learn.

Ain't that the truth!

Still, it's not *so* hard after enough practice. The hard thing is that
the top E string is like cheese wire. You can *hurt* yourself on that
thing! o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nekar
Date: 10 Feb 2008 12:20:42
Message: <47af326a@news.povray.org>
> Nekar wrote:
>
> > I would say frettless
> > stringed instruments are the most difficult to learn.
>
> Ain't that the truth!
>
> Still, it's not *so* hard after enough practice. The hard thing is that
> the top E string is like cheese wire. You can *hurt* yourself on that
> thing! o_O

It sounds like you played the cheese to the e-string once  ;'>
eee-eee-KA-TWANK!
=:'o

My 10yr old son Duen is lucky enough to have violin lessons at school. His
teacher said he has natural talent and the potential to become one of the
best violinists or a conductor. He wanted to play lead guitar but I told him
I will teach him when he can play Paganini's 5th Caprice   =;)

I'm also planning on having my dads old violin fixed up to help inspire him.
But what I really want to play is contra-bass... Maybe one day when I have
enough money....

-Nekar

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 10 Feb 2008 15:46:30
Message: <47af62a6$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Don't know Radiohead. [Obviously I've heard of them, and I've probably
> heard their music, but I wouldn't recognise it.]
>
> Hmm... this isn't really my taste.

I'm surprised, I must say.  They're different enough that you you
shouldn't discount them because you don't like Mogwai (and Radiohead
also has a larger range of styles).

>> Conveniently, the same site also has some tracks by Yes:
>>
>> http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=105
>
> This is a little more like it...

Most of the other top prog albums listed in the site I linked will be in
a style more similar to this, so it might be worth taking a look at some
of the bands that keep appearing (Genesis, King Crimson, Van Der Graff
Generator, etc.)

I'd like to know of modern music that continues in this tradition, but
there's only a couple of bands that I can think of that that are doing
something even remotely similar, and their music tends to be a lot
"heavier".  I'm sure with a bit more looking I'll find some though,
there's plenty enough bands out there to get a nice range of styles.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 10 Feb 2008 17:36:05
Message: <47af7c55$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen escribió:
>> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I'd think that the conversion back and forth would modify an attempt
>>> like this enough.  Remember that mp3 encoding is lossy, not lossless.
>>
>> Yes, I know. And to overcome that, just don't make the changes to the
>> sound THAT small.
>
> Yeah, encode the username in the lyrics. Hey, I can hear my name if I
> play this song backwards!

=)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:22:19
Message: <47afdb8b@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:57:54 +0100, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

>> I'd think that the conversion back and forth would modify an attempt
>> like this enough.  Remember that mp3 encoding is lossy, not lossless.
>
> Yes, I know. And to overcome that, just don't make the changes to the
> sound THAT small.

The thing is, the watermark, in order to be meaningful, would have to re-
encode exactly the same way.  Otherwise, you end up with a scrambled
watermark.  So you can maybe tell it was there, but not what it was.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:23:26
Message: <47afdbce@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:05:02 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:46:46 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> > Random snippet: I remember when the school orchestra performed Ode To
>> > Joy. (Don't ask me who wrote that.)
>>
>> Beethoven used it in the last movement of the 9th Symphony, but it's a
>> traditional tune, and I don't know if the authorship is even known.
>> The words were written by Friedrich Schiller (a poet) in 1785, but it's
>> been used in music since 1786; Beethoven's use (the best known) is just
>> one of many uses in music.  Even Tchaikovsky used it (which I didn't
>> know).
>
> hmm, you say it's a traditional tune (melody) but I've never heard of
> that.  I know after Schiller wrote it, many musicians created music for
> the words, but I think the melody in the 9th is definitely from
> Beethoven.  I searched wikipedia and this:
> http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/anthem/index_en.htm
>
> the EU anthem is based on the 9th's Ode to Joy.
>
> is it true it's a traditional tune from before the 9th?

That's what I recall from a music history class I took years ago.  I
might be thinking of something else (perhaps "Simple Gifts" from
Appalachian Spring).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:25:50
Message: <47afdc5e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:58:24 +0200, Nekar wrote:

> It also depends on the type of instrument. I would say a good violinist
> needs to have aquired perfect pitch.

Intonation is certainly important.  But that doesn't affect the tonal
quality of the instrument so much.

> If andrew played the piano the same
> way he played the violin it would sound ten times better.

Possibly the other way around, you mean. :-)

> I would say
> frettless stringed instruments are the most difficult to learn.

I always had trouble with the piano.  I never took lessons, though, but
my brother did, and I learned to play one or two simple songs; but my
left hand doesn't work the right way to play the piano, and my right hand
is basically stupid - odd, considering I'm right-handled. :-)

But getting things at the right pitch does take some work.

Jim