POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  What you say? (Message 21 to 30 of 64)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: What you say?
Date: 1 Feb 2008 11:39:40
Message: <op.t5utw6jsc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:03:44 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:09:50 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Je me demande, cela fait un sens?
>>  "What! My mother was a saint. Get out!"
>
> o_O

GIYF - add "Futurama" to the query.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2008 12:31:18
Message: <47a35766$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:23:34 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> To speak French, you have to actually speak in a French accent, or
> nobody knows what you're saying. Which actually makes sense, really...

Well, I've been told that the French (and in particular, Parisians) often
will pretend they don't understand if your French is bad.  I had a
similar experience to this in Barcelona - the difference between Spanish
and Catalan is small enough that if you speak Spanish, they can
understand you.

For example, in Spanish, the city "Barcelona" is pronounced "bar-se-lone-
a".  In Catalan, it's pronounced "Bar-theh-lone-a".  But if you don't
pronounce it the second way, the locals will tend to pretend to not know
what you're saying.  They damned well know what is meant, though.

Jim

Post a reply to this message