POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 1 Feb 2008 15:04:29
Message: <47a37b4d$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> Just *what* french accent are you talking about? There are 100's of them...
> I live in Montréal, Québec, end there are times I have dificulties
> understanding some other french speakers.
> I can say the same about english eccents ;-)

As Benny pointed out, there are - or were - areas of England where the
dialect they speak is so strange as to be beyond comprehension to most
normal people. [I'm not even going to attempt to describe his impression
of Glasgow. But it involves saying "JIMMI!" a lot and speaking extremely
fast...]

>> You know, it's probably a *good* thing that I don't know how to say
>> "you have a really nice arse" in French. Because that waitress would
>> have probably slapped me for it. Mind you, she says her boyfriend is
>> always teaching her new English words and phrases. (And damn, her
>> English isn't half bad...) Ho hum!

> It's "Vous avez un beau derrière!" Or "Vous avez de belles fesses"
> Pronounce (aproximataly):
> "vou zavai un bo deriair" or "...de bell fess"
> And, yes, it could result in a stiff slap in the face...

LOL! Especially when I've just watched her standing there snogging her
bf's face off in the middle of the cafe... ;-)

FWIW, Google claims "Vous avez un joli cul." I have no idea whether that
actually makes any sense at all though. Google translations are a
little... variable. ;-)

[Never the less, I just wasted a whole afternoon coming up with stuff
like "Je tiens à vous faire nu." Damn, I should grow up... :-S ]

> You may try to first learn Spanish or Italian, then learn French.
> Learning Latin and classical Greek can also help. Anyway, learning a new
> language is never a waste.

That's exactly the mind-set I had when I took up Haskell. Oh, wait...

[On a more serious note... I have attempted to learn Latin a few times.
And generally failed. Oh well!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/