POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2008 12:31:18
Message: <47a35766$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:23:34 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> To speak French, you have to actually speak in a French accent, or
> nobody knows what you're saying. Which actually makes sense, really...

Well, I've been told that the French (and in particular, Parisians) often
will pretend they don't understand if your French is bad.  I had a
similar experience to this in Barcelona - the difference between Spanish
and Catalan is small enough that if you speak Spanish, they can
understand you.

For example, in Spanish, the city "Barcelona" is pronounced "bar-se-lone-
a".  In Catalan, it's pronounced "Bar-theh-lone-a".  But if you don't
pronounce it the second way, the locals will tend to pretend to not know
what you're saying.  They damned well know what is meant, though.

Jim