POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Alain
Date: 1 Feb 2008 14:57:40
Message: <47a379b4@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/02/01 05:23:
> During my stay in Switzerland, I discovered a number of things.
>
> The region I was staying in (Nendaz) speaks French. Now, my knowledge of
> French is minimal. I recall that what we refer to as a "gold fish", the
> French call "le passion rougue" ("the red fish"), and that's about it.
We say "le poasson rouge"

> I recall sitting down in the cafe at Siviez. Waitress wanders over and
> mutters something in French. I look at her for a moment. "Well I hope
> your English is way better than my French." She looks worried.
>
> Well anyway, I eventually managed to figure out that if you mumble
> "shokolah", they bring you a mug of hot chocolate. Which tastes ****ing
> fantastic BTW.
>
> Benny likes to drink some kind of coffee. I'm not sure exactly what it
> is. The waitress comes over and he says "reversay". And she looks at him
> like "dude, WTF?" Anyway, it turns out the correct way to pronounce this
> word is actually a cross between saying "reversay" and trying to cough
> up a gold watch: hhhhhhhhrrreversay. Otherwise they literally have no
> idea what you're saying.
Kind of sound like "poured again" or "turned over". Depend on the exact context.

> I still have no idea what this word actually means... Any guesses?
>
> Also somewhat interesting: If you ask an English person how to say
> "hello" in French, they'll tell you it's "bon-jor". Well, *I* didn't
> hear anybody say that! What I heard was much more like "bor-shor".
> Because, you know what? To speak French, you have to actually speak in a
> French accent, or nobody knows what you're saying. Which actually makes
> sense, really...
Just *what* french accent are you talking about? There are 100's of them...
I live in Montréal, Québec, end there are times I have dificulties understanding
some other french speakers.
I can say the same about english eccents ;-)

> Similarly, it's not "mer-see". It appears to involve a completely
> different set of vowles, more closely approximating "meial-si". Danm, I
> can't even *type* it, much less say it out loud.
"mer-see" is closer to the way we say it where I live.

> For me, the most baffling thing was hearing little kids uttering
> complex-sounding French sentences. Now, logically, this isn't
> surprising. They're probably from France! What else would they be
> speaking? And yet, it still amazed and astonished me every time...
> French words seem to have such a complicated structure. And yet these
> kids toss it around as if it's *easy*. Which, when you're a French
> person, it probably is.
I was wondering the same when I had to learn english...

> Like I said, logically there's nothing unusual here. Rationally, you
> know that. But even so, when you see small children casually doing
> something that you yourself find impossibly difficult... it's always
> surprising.
>
> (But then, come to that, there were children there who could ski better
> than they can *walk*! Really showed me up...)
>
> You know, it's probably a *good* thing that I don't know how to say "you
> have a really nice arse" in French. Because that waitress would have
> probably slapped me for it. Mind you, she says her boyfriend is always
> teaching her new English words and phrases. (And damn, her English isn't
> half bad...) Ho hum!
It's "Vous avez un beau derrière!" Or "Vous avez de belles fesses"
Pronounce (aproximataly):
"vou zavai un bo deriair" or "...de bell fess"
And, yes, it could result in a stiff slap in the face...

You may try to first learn Spanish or Italian, then learn French. Learning Latin
and classical Greek can also help. Anyway, learning a new language is never a waste.

--
Alain
Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.